Human Resource Services provides U of A staff members advice on inviting foreign visitors and hiring foreign nationals. Before you invite a foreign national to campus, please seek advice from a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Human Resource Services.

Inviting a Foreign Visitor

Hiring a Foreign National

Entering and Re-entering Canada

Applying for Permanent Residence

Applying for a Spousal Work Permit

  1. Renewing Work Permit Before Travelling Over Winter Break

    To avoid possible disruption of employment and/or travel during the winter break, individuals holding work permits should be directed to plan ahead to ensure that their permits remain up-to-date. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) current processing time for on-line renewal of work permits is 84 calendar days. Contact for more information.

  2. Using Job Match When Considering Foreign Nationals

    As of August 28, 2017 there will be an additional step when considering foreign nationals for high-wage non-faculty positions. A new rating system called Job Match will match job seekers registered in the Canada Job Bank with advertised positions, and employers will be required to invite candidates who have a certain number of stars in relation to the position.
    Read more »

  3. Travel Ban Information

    The University of Alberta is committed to supporting all faculty and staff affected by the recent United States travel ban. Visit if you require support or assistance or want up-to-date information. For faculty and staff needing assistance with Immigration, please contact Immigration Services at or call 780-492-6072 or 780-492-2796.
    Read more »

  4. »more

Quick Links

Immigration Forms

Foreign Visitor Category Assessment

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Form

Citizenship and Immigration Canada Spousal Program

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Website 

Service Canada Website 

Academic Visitors Office

University of Alberta International

Immigration Glossary


Contact Us

Immigration Services
Human Resource Services

Cyndi Killingsworth

Dallas Pelkey

Trisha Kasawski



The information provided on this website is for reference only and is subject to change. Before you invite a foreign national to campus, it is recommended that you seek advice from Immigration Services, Human Resource Services