Human Resource Services provides U of A staff members advice on inviting foreign visitors and hiring foreign nationals. Before you invite a foreign national to campus, please seek advice from a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Human Resource Services.

Inviting a Foreign Visitor

Hiring a Foreign National

Entering and Re-entering Canada

Applying for Permanent Residence

Applying for a Spousal Work Permit

  1. New Foreign Visitor Category Assessment Launches Monday, October 5th

    As we shared previously, Monday, October 5th, 2015 is launch day for the new Foreign Visitor Category Assessment (FVCA) web application interface. As of Friday, October 2, we will no longer accept or review FVCAs sent to the immigration services inbox.
    Read more »

  2. Permanent Residents Entering or Re-entering Canada

    As of March 15, 2016, Canadian permanent residents may not be permitted to enter Canada without carrying either a valid permanent resident card or a valid permanent resident travel document.Read more »

  3. New Immigration Documentation Requirements

    Historically, only citizens of certain countries required a temporary resident visa (TRV) to enter Canada. It will soon become mandatory for most foreign nationals to have either an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a TRV before entering Canada for any reason.Read more »

  4. »more

Quick Links

Immigration Forms

Foreign Visitor Category Assessment Form

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Form

Citizenship and Immigration Canada Spousal Program

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Website 

Service Canada Website 

Academic Visitors Office

University of Alberta International

Immigration Glossary


Contact Us

Immigration Services
Human Resource Services

Jayne Booth

Cyndi Killingsworth

Dallas Pelkey



The information provided on this website is for reference only and is subject to change. Before you invite a foreign national to campus, it is recommended that you seek advice from Immigration Services, Human Resource Services