Pathways Learning Series
Choose your path: Pathways Learning Series helps you strengthen your talents
The University of Alberta takes pride in the unique talents and skills of our employees. We also take pride in giving our employees opportunities to learn and grow. The Pathways Learning Series was created to help you expand on what you know and develop and strengthen new skills. We’ve spent the past three years working with NASA and staff across campus to determine the best way to help staff succeed. The result is a series of learning opportunities centered around seven skill areas that are essential to ongoing success at the University.
Pathways makes it possible for you to choose your own path to enhancing and advancing your career at the U of A.The core competencies are outlined below. Our goal is to create learning opportunities that support your talents and meet your individual needs and interests.
Pathways is a series of self-directed learning opportunities which fall into seven key skill areas. The Seven Core Competencies are:
Pathways offers several face-to-face learning sessions which will be held on Wednesdays throughout 2012. Each month we will present a different competency featuring in-class sessions as well as online learning sessions. Skillsoft is the online portal and learning system that makes it possible for you to access information about the competencies and much, much more 24/7!
To see a visual representation of Pathways, view the Interactive Pathways Trail Map. Also see a list of Pathways Competencies Matched to Courses.
While we believe that learning is reward enough, Pathways also includes a recognition program. Click here to read about how to be recognized for your commitment to learning.
We encourage UAlberta employees to hold conversations about how learners are "living their learning."
The Pathways Assessment Guides were designed for three key purposes:
- As tools to support dialogue and coaching around the specific behaviours of Pathways
- To establish a record of accomplishment for learners
- To recognize learners' commitment to professional development
- Learners will use these tools as a self-check to consider their strengths and areas for growth
- Supervisors will use these tools as a conversation and coaching guide for clarifying expectations to establishing developmental possibilities with both individuals and teams
- UAlberta employees will be inspired to reflect on professional development and to celebrate learning!
The Skillsoft tool consists of thousands of short, relevant online courses, job aids, simulations, videos, and electronic books that are open to all Support Staff, and Academic Staff. These resources were developed to meet a variety of interests and include a wide range in topics from personal to professional skill development.
- For Support Staff - Business Skills and Pathways Learning Series are a series of 1-2 hour courses on a wide range of skills linked to the seven competencies of Pathways.
- For Academic Staff and Supervisors - The Leadership Advantage. A series of themed resources, such as tools and assessments, videos, executive summaries, case studies and text on hundreds of topics
- For any staff - Desktop software courses to enhance your effectiveness with several computer applications.
For more information about Skillsoft, please visit the Skillsoft Online Learning webpage.
Pathways Information Sessions
The purpose of the information sessions was to raise awareness about this programs intent, values and benefits. Between January and April 1, 2012 we held over 16 sessions reaching more than 400 people across campus.
Find out more by reading through the sessions slides. If you require additional information please contact Organizational Learning and Effectiveness.
To attend one of the face-to-face courses, please check The Learning Shop for the upcoming program dates.
New to the Learning Shop? Learn more...