Human Resource Services provides U of A staff members advice on inviting foreign visitors and hiring foreign nationals. Before you invite a foreign national to campus, please seek advice from a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in Human Resource Services.

Inviting a Foreign Visitor

Hiring a Foreign National

Entering and Re-entering Canada

Applying for Permanent Residence

Applying for a Spousal Work Permit

  1. Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) - Foreign Nationals Flying into Canada

    Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have introduced a new electronic travel authorization (eTA). Starting March 15, 2016, foreign nationals from countries who did not previously need authorization (visas) to fly to Canada by air will now need an electronic travel authorization (eTA). This includes those who hold a work or study permit issued prior to August 1, 2015, those who do not hold visa, visitors to the university, and American Green Card holders.
    Read more »

  2. Changes to Offer of Employment Process for LMIA Exempt Foreign Visitors

    As of November 21, 2015, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) no longer accepts the IMM 5802 and the Employer Compliance Fee payment receipt from foreign nationals applying for a work permit. If you have foreign nationals who received these documents and did not apply for their work permit prior to November 21, 2015, you will need to take the following action:
    Read more »

  3. Changes to Offer of Employment (IMM 5802) Process

    Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) recently announced changes to the processing of the Offer of Employment to a Foreign National Exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment, currently known as the IMM 5802.
    Read more »

  4. »more

Quick Links

Immigration Forms

Foreign Visitor Category Assessment

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Form

Citizenship and Immigration Canada Spousal Program

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Website 

Service Canada Website 

Academic Visitors Office

University of Alberta International

Immigration Glossary


Contact Us

Immigration Services
Human Resource Services

Jayne Booth

Cyndi Killingsworth

Dallas Pelkey



The information provided on this website is for reference only and is subject to change. Before you invite a foreign national to campus, it is recommended that you seek advice from Immigration Services, Human Resource Services