Frequently Asked Questions
- I am interested in bringing on an ISS employee. What do I need to do next?
Currently ISS receives placement requests by telephone or email. Please phone 780-492-4605 or email a Request for Support Form to email@example.com to make a request.
- Can I select the ISS employee I would like to bring on?
We do our best to balance the number of employees we have with the number of available assignments we have on campus. As such it is unlikely that we will have a large number of employees available to take on a particular assignment at any given time. At the department's request, we will email copies of potential ISS employee's resumes prior to placing an employee. Short interviews can also be arranged for longer term (6 month +) assignments.
- What is the minimum length of time required to hire an ISS employee? What is the maximum length an ISS employee can work for me?
Employees must work a minimum of three hours and can work for a maximum of 1820 hours per assignment.
- What typical roles can ISS employees fill?
We hire administrative employees of all skill levels ready to take on roles which include Administrative Assistants, Receptionists, File Clerks, Medical Transcriptionists, Financial Assistants, Executive Assistants, Special Event Assistants and General Office Clerks.
- How much does it cost to have an ISS employee work for me?
ISS charges an administration fee that is significantly less than external agencies – included in this fee are statutory deductions, vacation pay, sick time, and EFAP.
- How do I pay for the hours worked?
Employees will complete a timesheet on a semi-monthly basis and request a speed code and signature from the Assignment Supervisor. The employee will then submit the timesheet to the ISS office for keying. Departments are expected to retain copies of the timesheets for record of payment.
- What if I need my ISS employee for longer than planned or not as long?
Whether you would like to shorten or lengthen an ISS assignment, please contact our office as soon as possible to notify us of these changes. Should you decide to shorten the assignment length, we will establish a new end date and notify the ISS employee of this change. Should you wish to extend the assignment length, we will follow up with the employee to ensure they are able to stay longer than originally planned.
- Can my ISS employee work overtime if needed?
Yes. Overtime hours must be pre-approved by the assignment supervisor before they are worked. Overtime hours are paid at a rate of 1 ½ times the hourly rate for the assignment for the first two hours and two times for all hours thereafter.
- Does my ISS employee work on stat holidays?
ISS employees are eligible for holiday pay in accordance with the NASA collective agreement. Departments are responsible for paying the stat holiday pay for ISS employees working at the time of the holiday.
- If I hire an ISS employee into a casual, auxiliary or continuing position will I be charged a fee?
Should you wish to hire the ISS employee into your department, unlike external temporary agencies, ISS does not charge a “placement fee”.
General Contact Info:
Amy Andrews - Recruitment and Staffing Lead
Guia Palaypay - Recruitment Advisor
Jeffrey Thi - Recruitment Assistant