Voluntary 5-day Personal Leave Program
|There have been changes to the PLP Plan for support staff. See this news post for more information.
The Voluntary 5-Day Personal Leave Plan offers the opportunity for eligible academic staff to take additional leave while producing a cost savings to individual departments or units. Employees who participate in the program apply for five days of leave without pay and have the cost of the leave deducted in equal instalments over the twelve month plan period beginning in July 1 and ending June 30. All leave days are tracked by the employee's department or unit and must be taken within the plan period.
How to Apply
- Complete the Academic Voluntary 5-Day Personal Leave Plan Application form and submit it to your supervisor or department head for approval by April 29, 2016.
- If you are eligible to participate and your application is approved, the application will be forwarded to Human Resource Services by May 31, 2016.
- Employees who begin employment between April 29, 2016 and July 1, 2016 can submit their application to HRS by July 8, 2016.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible?
All academic staff under the following agreements who accrue vacation leave rather than receive pay in lieu of vacation (provided they are taking no more than one month unpaid leave during the deduction period) and who have an appointment commencing on or before July 1 and ending on or after June 30 of the Plan Period are eligible to apply for the plan.
Who is not eligible?
- Faculty (including contingent positions)
- Administrative Professional Officer
- Faculty Service Officer
- Contract Academic Staff: Teaching
- Sessional and Other Temporary Staff
- Trust/ Research Academic Staff
- Excluded academic staff who accrue vacation
What if I have more than one appointment, one of which is eligible and one of which is not?
- Academic staff who have scheduled a leave without pay greater than one (1) month during the plan period (maternity leave, educational leave, etc.)
- Academic staff with excessive vacation accrual at the time of application
You would be eligible for PLP only for the appointment which is eligible, as above.
How much are the Personal Leave Deductions?
- The deduction on each pay period is 1.92%, applied to base compensation (for Academic staff this includes market supplement, salary supplement and administrative stipends)
- PLP is deducted in equal instalments over the Plan Period
- Pensionable earnings are not affected by the PLP
- All Statutory, Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, and Tax deductions are calculated on salary less the Personal Leave Deductions
When are deductions made from my paycheque?
Personal Leave Deductions are made during each pay period in the Plan Period.
What happens to the money that is deducted?
What if my base salary changes during the plan period?
The savings from staff who participate remain with the department or unit.
There is no reconciliation. The Personal Leave Deduction of 1.92% applies to the base salary you receive in that pay period.
What if I change my mind?
Once approved, the decision to participate in the Plan is irrevocable.
How are applications approved?
Applications are subject to Manager/Supervisor or Trustholder approval and will not be approved if you are ineligible or if operational needs cannot be met.
How are the Plan days scheduled?
Scheduling is subject to supervisory approval and operational requirements, including being subject to department blackout periods.
PLP days may be used over a period of time or all at once, subject to scheduling. However, all five days must be taken during the Plan Period. Any leave days not taken before the end of the Plan Period are forfeited and cannot be carried forward or reimbursed.
What if I want a leave plan that is not five days long?
This Plan only supports five days of leave. For leave periods other than five days, please refer to the Leave Without Pay (LWOP) clause of the appropriate Collective Agreement.
How are the PLP days tracked?
The employee and department are responsible for tracking all Voluntary 5-Day Personal Leave Plan days taken.
What if leave employment with the University during the Plan Period?
With the exception of layoffs and Long Term Disability, there is no reconciliation of days taken to deductions.