Non-Residents & Tax Waiver

  • A Non-Resident filing an application to waive or reduce Canadian withholding tax must have an Individual Tax Number (ITN) or a Social Insurance Number (SIN). An ITN is a nine-digit number issued to non-residents who need an identification number and are not eligible to obtain a Social Insurance Number.
  • If the non-resident receives a tax waiver the ITN must be provided to the Faculty/Department who will forward the number to Payroll Operations.
  • The University is required to report the ITN on the T4A-NR.

Applying for a Tax Waiver

Tax Waiver requests must be applied for 30 days prior to the date of the services provided in Canada and/or payment.

Non-residents must download and complete the following two application forms:


Individuals with questions regarding waivers should call the Canadian Revenue Agency's Individual income tax and trust enquiries toll free number at 1-800-959-8281.

Contact Us

Payroll & Benefit Services