Excellence in Learning Support
The Excellence in Learning Support award is a 2007 addition to Celebration of Teaching and Learning. This award is specifically designed to recognize members of the University community whose role does not involve teaching, but who nonetheless directly and significantly contribute to the student learning experience.
All non-teaching staff members in positions that have provided support to the learning experience of students within the last year are eligible for this annual award. Examples include but are not limited to Student Advisors, Student Service Officers, Lab Coordinators, Lab Technicians, Co-op Coordinators, AICT Technical Support Staff and Librarians. Awards will be presented in each of the following categories should the number and caliber of nominations warrant:
- Classroom or Laboratory Services
- Technical Assistance and Support
- Off Campus Placement Services
- Student Advisory Services
- Non-teaching Faculty
- Administrative Professional Officers
Nominations are to be received between March 1st and May 31st.
Presentations to award recipients will be made annually at the Celebration of Teaching and Learning in the fall.
In order for a nominee to be considered by the selection committee, the nominator must demonstrate how the team meets the following criteria. Please keep responses to each of the criteria to no more than 350 words each. Nominators may also submit any appropriate supporting documentation.
- The nominee demonstrates an active and positive record of service to students in their capacity and is willingly available to students for advice and guidance.
- The nominee consistently demonstrates sensitivity to and respect for students.
- The nominee promotes active learning and successfully encourages students to think-imaginatively, critically, and independently.
- The nominee interacts enthusiastically and effectively with students using opportunities productively to promote learning and address individual student needs.
- The nominee looks for innovative methods enhance the teaching and learning experience.
Nomination packages must be submitted complete with the Nomination Form between March 1st and May 31st. The nominator must be a student currently enrolled at the University of Alberta. Letters of support from at least two additional members of the campus community knowledgeable about the nominee's contributions must also be included.
Nominations for the awards will be reviewed by a selection committee chaired by the Manager of Health Promotion and WorkLife Services.
February 1 - April 30
Mail Nominations to:
Nomination Review Committee
Attn: Sarah Flower
Human Resource Services
2-60 University Terrace